Race Recaps

Monday, May 5, 2014

Running again :)

Last Monday, I had my 12 week checkup with my orthopedist. The x-rays confirmed that my bone healed properly. The new bone looked exactly like the old bone so I am all healed! (bone wise)

He said my pelvis will always be unsymmetrical which may or may not be an issue with a natural childbirth of a large baby. The only other lasting issue would be cycling. The one broken pubic bone now sticks out a bit which is exactly where I would be sitting on a bike. He suggested if it bothers me on long rides, get a well padded seat. The good news is that the unsymmetrical pelvis will not bother me or prevent me from doing sports or running. When asked about running, he said YES and to 'go crazy.' You should never tell a runner this ;)

My main PT was not working Tuesday so Wednesday I gave her the good news. She then said ok we'll try the treadmill today. I honestly thought I would move up to the elliptical or treadmill in the pool, but nope. Straight to the treadmill! I was nervous and excited. They started me out at 3.5 mph walking then they upped me to 5.2 mph (about 11:32 minute mile). I could not stop smiling. I felt rusty but otherwise good. I only ran for about 7 minutes but I was sweaty and huffing and puffing. It's amazing how much harder it is to run right now. Two PTs were watching my run (part of the same team that have been helping me) and said that I was very symmetrical. A worry was that my weakness in my right leg might have my limping while running or favoring my left leg. Luckily I did not have this issue. 


man this is way more difficult than it used to be

Friday I continued running on the treadmill by completed 1 mile (still at 5.2 mph). I felt great doing it so I planned on my first outdoor run this past weekend. Previously I refused to go less than 3 miles, now I was looking forward to 1.5 miles. With a chance of rain, I added to my lengthy process to get ready.

favorite running capris... check
Brooks waterproof jacket... check
Garmin 620... check
heart rate monitor... check
waterproof Nike Pegasus.... check
RoadId... check
plastic bag for my iphone (yep I'm high tech like that).... check
running cap... check

I was going part of a normal route for me and a really familiar way out of my neighborhood. My mind kept wanting me to go faster, but my legs would only go so fast. It was a weird surreal feeling. I can safely say it felt a lot better going faster than a walk. I would take forever to get to a mile walking, but in no time I was at a mile and decided to turn around. I knew I would be going 2 miles instead of the planned 1.5, but I felt great. One thing that did bother me were my allergies! Ugh Spring! At least the view was nice.



In the end, I was a bit sore. My muscles felt like they ran much further, but at least it didn't hurt! I noticed no pain or aggravation in my pelvis. Cardio wise, I could have kept going so that is another positive. I was not sure how fast I would be after my injury, but it seems like 11 1/2 minutes is what I will be around. I guess that is better than the 12 - 13 minute range I thought I might be in. 



My goal all along was to start running in May. I actually was ahead of my own schedule starting April 30th. Hal Higdon has a 30 week marathon training plan. 29 weeks puts me at November 23rd which is the Philadelphia Marathon. There is no way to tell if my muscles will get better fast enough to really be able to train. One thing I can try to train for is the Hibiscus 5 miler (vacation race!). Game plan: 3 mile long run this weekend and 4 miles next weekend. Add some 1 to 1.5 mile runs and cross training with the bike and elliptical.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment