Race Recaps

Thursday, April 10, 2014

#TBT to running while on vacation


I have been lucky enough to travel a fair amount which means I have been lucky enough to run in some great locations. Early last year I had never run in any race, not even a 5k. Running a half marathon was on my bucket list, but I was not sure if I could handle that distance. I mean 13 miles seemed soooo far. The most I had run was 7 miles years ago. To ease into it, my friend and I decided that we should sign up for a 10k. I was running 10 to 15 miles a week at that point, but all on a treadmill. I had not run outside in quite some time and was worried about how my asthma would react to colder temperatures. A couple of weeks before the 10k while vacationing in California, I tried a couple of very short outdoor runs (about 1 - 2 miles) to prepare for the 10k (no, I didn't really train for the 10k, training was a new concept for me). I was hooked! It combined my two loves- running and traveling. Yes, I realize I was hit by a car while running on vacation, but it allows me to see different parts of the town, city, or country that I am in.


Side note: When I run away from home, I let my husband know where I am going and about when I will be back. I also take my phone with me even if I'm overseas (wifi still works). If I do not get service, I download onto my phone my route and surrounding areas using google maps. 

California:


First outdoor run in years. Down the Ventura Pier. Unfortunately never took a picture of my Napa Valley run.

Martha's Vineyard:


Beautiful 8 mile run in Martha's Vineyard along the coast.


Had water and sand on both sides of me.

Bermuda:


Railway trail- great trail going most of the length of Bermuda. Started my run on this trail before cutting over to the ocean. 


Ran at 6 am in 79 degree, very humid weather, but was rewarded with this spectacular sunrise.


Ran past my rental so I could get to 4 miles. Was able to see Horseshoe Bay before the beach was packed with tourists. 

Spain:


Seville had a great bike path along the river.


Ronda was built on top of a gorge. Decided to run down the walking path to the bottom and back. Definitely counted as a hill day!


Bottom of the gorge, besides a farm.

Cancun:

I ran two runs in Cancun. The first was a 5 mile run along the southern end of the hotel zone. There was a beautiful beach park that was visited by locals.


I took this about 3/4 of a mile before my run abruptly... There is a nice running path that goes along the resorts of the hotel zone. Literally right after this path ends and it is just the sidewalk right up against the road is where I was hit by the car.



Next up: hopefully I will be cleared to run in Hawaii :)


No comments:

Post a Comment