Race Recaps

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Yoga!... sort of

One of the major drawbacks to a broken pelvis is loss of flexibility. For awhile I could barely move my leg a centimeter to the side. My three weeks of PT while my pelvis was still fractured helped me gain some up and down flexibility. I still struggle with the side to side especially if I need to twist my leg in any way. My muscles are just extremely tight and some movements aggravate my one healed pelvic fracture. I never really did yoga pre-injury. As I got more serious about my running, I needed deeper stretches so I incorporated some poses to my stretching routine. 

My attempt of yoga had mixed results. Certain poses I could tell were stretching me out while others I just could not do properly right now.


I can finally bend me knee enough to be able to do child's pose. 


I have been doing this pose for years. Great abs stretch. My back is well enough that this pose is not an issue.


I regularly do bridges at PT. This week I started doing one legged bridges. 


Things are starting to go downhill with the downward dog. My hamstrings and calves are still tight. I could not even get my feet to be flat against the mat.


I would like to be able to bend my upper body a bit more for this pose. 


First time doing this pose.


This was a tough pose. Previously I could hold it much longer. My upper body lost a lot of strength.


Not being able to complete this pose is tough. I sit like this regularly and previously was able to put my nose to my feet. I am pushing down on my right leg, but that is as far down as it will go. The twisting of the leg to the side is barely getting better. Gaining flexibility is not progressing as quickly as the rest of my injury.


This was one of my favorite poses pre-injury. I cannot even come close to completing it now. My right leg cannot twist far enough over and my hip flexors are too tight. I also tried doing this switching sides, but my right leg hip flexors are also too tight. 


I purchased  a strap and am going to work with that. My favorite pose is the Lord of the Dance. I really want to be able to do the pose. I can do a spinal twist so that my right leg is crossing over the left, but if I apply pressure on that leg to get a deeper stretch, it starts hurting my pelvis. Since it is not just that I am tight, but actual pelvic pain, I am avoiding this pose. Every now and again I try it to determine if my pelvis is feeling better, but that's it. Garland is another pose I did frequently that am working to be able to do again. My leg strength is not there so holding it is just not happening right now.

Off to the beach this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment