Race Recaps

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lessons Learned

One reason I wanted to start this blog was because the lack of information out there for a young person with a fractured pelvis. I found plenty of information about older people, but very little on a younger person's experience. Over the past 8 weeks I have learned a few lessons from my experience. I hope this can apply to anyone with a major injury especially a lower body injury. 
  •  It does take new bone 6 to 8 weeks to form (hard callus). My CT scan showed my fractures were worse than the x-rays showed, but it still only took 6 weeks. The pain with the bone started going away at week 5 and mid-week 6 I really felt healed. It helps that I am young. Apparently it can take longer when you are older.
  •  Go to PT as soon as you can. I started going at the end of my 3rd week and do not regret it. Even though I could not do weight bearing on my right leg, it helped me wake up the muscles that were left and slow down or prevent any further muscle loss. As someone who enjoys working out, I very much enjoyed PT. It was the closest thing I had to exercising while waiting for the bone to heal. Also, listen to your PT. Don't be lazy with the exercises, but don't be superwoman too. Have faith- you will get better with each visit!
  • It helps being young and healthy. There is very little you can do about being older, but everyone can affect their health. I cannot imagine being in my 80s or obese and having a broken pelvis. Not being able to walk on one leg, having back pain, and being uncomfortable sitting literally affect every aspect of your life. Being in reasonably good shape helped me get around with crutches when I needed to. My body heart rate and blood pressure both increased, but from athletes’ number to normal, healthy people’s numbers. I truly believe the healthier you are, the better your body will react to trauma and healing. 
  • Don't compare your current state to your old self. It's ok to look your old self as your goal to *eventually* get back to, but you have to focus on the little goals along the way. Think 'hey I can do 30 reps instead of 20' or ' this week I can pick stuff up off of the floor instead of having to wait for someone to help me’ (this is a big deal when apparently you have butterfingers).  I didn't think step 1- run at my old pace. I did and am focusing on many steps along the way including step 1- bone heals, step 2- walk, step 3- walk unassisted, step 4- strength the muscles to so I can use the elliptical, etc. I even set mini goals like being able to get myself in and out of the wheelchair by myself, get in and out of the shower without sitting on the chair and swinging my legs over the side; walking up and down the stairs normally without having to put both feet on each step, etc. Accomplishing these goals helped motivate me and gave me a pick me up. 
  • You will lose muscle and you will gain weight (unless you have some crazy metabolism that can handle barely moving for 6 weeks). It is very tough to see all of my muscles wither away. All of those squats and lounges grr…. My right leg and right butt cheek obviously have the most muscle loss, but every muscle on my body has gotten weaker. I couldn't lift weights (main due to my rib injury), do any cardio, pushups, planks... nada. since previously I was running 20 miles a week in addition to doing squats/lounges/etc, my left leg has even gotten weaker.  I have come to terms with the fact that my body will look different and there is very little I can do about it right now. I also know I am dedicated and motivated so I will be able to get my body back once I can get moving. 
  • Bad things happen period. You cannot prevent everything. I ran early enough that people were out and about, but late enough that it was light out. I wore bright clothes (white shirt, red shorts, blue shoes… just realized I was very patriotic that run). I ran on the sidewalk going against traffic. I didn’t even have to cross any roads on my run. Sometimes bad things happen that you have no control over. You just have to accept that fact. 
·         #1 lesson I learned:
  • I am stronger than I imagined (and I bet you are too). My body protected me after the initial excruciating pain to the point where it was a manageable amount of pain until I had to be moved. The accident also raised my pain threshold (I view this as a very good thing considering I still plan on having kids at some point). Nothing these days hurts *that* much. My mind is more focused and determined. I am only looking ahead to my goal of getting healthy and back to running. I refuse to allow myself to think of ‘what if’ or ‘if I had done this differently’. It will not change the past. I always knew I was tough, but this just confirms it ;)

The only reason I do reflect back is thinking about if I had not been conscious how would the hospital known to call my husband? For the future, I am getting  RoadId band. You can add emergency contacts plus any other medical conditions just in case…

1 comment:

  1. The roadID is such an amazing running accessory, I love mine!! Unfortunately, after I ordered it, I realized I should have put one less contact on it, and added Congenital Heart Disease to my band. I'll just have to order another one. Any excuse to buy more running gear! :D I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Your posts are wonderful, and I'm happy you're not looking back on the accident with negativity. I'm sure you have your moments of frustration, but glad you've focused on all the milestones along your recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete