Race Recaps

Monday, March 31, 2014

Philadelphia Marathon here I come!

I did it! I finally signed up for a marathon! 




This is something I honestly never even thought I would come close to doing so it should be an interesting 29 weeks of training (assuming I am cleared to run by May). I realize there is a high change I will not be able to complete this race. There are so many questions marks right now- will be knees hold up for 26.2 miles? will be hip stop being sore by the time I need to start training? will I be cleared for running in time to start training? will it be too much from starting at ground zero? At least signing up gives me the option to try. 

I had some ups and downs this weekend. The up: adding miles, time, and speed to my recumbent bike ride.




It felt great. Planning on doing the recumbent bike three times this week, 15 minutes each. If things go well then I will keep adding time. I am also going to try out the spin bikes at the gym. If I want to get into cycling I think I need to see how I hold up on a spin bike first. Now the down: I walked .3 miles from my friend's house to a restaurant, sat for 4 hours then walked .3 miles back to my friend's house. The walk to the restaurant felt fine, but I could tell I was getting to my limit. The last .3 miles really did my hip in. It felt sore and needed to be rested into the next day. It is very frustrating to know my muscles could handle the .6 total miles but my hip is not there yet. With the bone healing I had a timeline, but with the soreness I just have to wait and see. This all just makes me very nervous about my race I plan to walk at the end of April. I downgraded to the New Jersey Half Marathon relay and will be walking 6.4 miles.... or at least I hope to be. I know I can prepare my muscles in time, but the wildcard is still the hip.

Plan for this week: research bicycles, decide on October race, look into road bike races in the mid-Atlantic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment