Race Recaps

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Another big week of firsts


This week has brought two big firsts- walking unassisted and driving! Completing both means I am fully independent now :) I have a slight limp although when I concentrate and don't walk slowly I think it goes away. The limp has decreased during the week. The PT suggested wearing supportive shoes and keeping one crutch around in case I get tired. Frankly, it is more tiring to use the crutches than it is to walk on my own two feet!

The PT also thinks I should progress really well since I am in shape (very out of shape for me!). Another PT who hadn’t seen me in a month saw me walking around and was very impressed. It is little things like this that make me feel like my hard work is paying off.

Walking unassisted was my next goal in the recovery process. There are a number of smaller goals I want to achieve to get to my next big one: running. There is no magic week for me to get back to running. The PT said it will depend on how my body responds and progresses. I wish I could have some number to aim for, but for now my personal goal is to start running sometime in May. I decided running 9 miles for the Hibiscus 15k was not going to be possible so I switched to the 5 miler. It is a much more realistic goal,


I also am assuming by summer I will be running and able to train so I signed up for my first half of the fall! Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Philly.




I really wish I could do a marathon in November, but is it too much considering I just started walking at the end of March? Pre-injury my knees were acting up on longer runs. The weeks of rest could have helped heel my knees as well…. Since I did not get into the Marine Corps Marathon (I hate race lotteries!), there are two Marathons I am looking at: Philadelphia Marathon and the Harrisburg Marathon. The good thing about the Philly Marathon is that I might be able to down grade to the half if I feel like I would not be able to complete the full. Has anyone done the Philly Marathon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment