Race Recaps

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Every day I'm shuffling

The orthopedist said over the next seven to ten days I need to ease weight onto my leg. The first couple of days I used two crutches to put some weight on but not quite an even amount. I started practicing using just one crutch and by Thursday I was only using one crutch. The switch to one crutch has really improved my life. I can shower by myself and carry things with my free hand.  This means I can organize my laundry, wash dishes, do basic cleaning, etc.


There are still a lot of challenges. When lying on my side, I can barely lift my leg. My inner and outer thigh muscles are pretty weak right now. My leg gets stiff after keeping still all night. I have very little flexibility twisting my leg. Somewhat disappointing considering one of my favorite stretches is the yoga position pigeon. 

working hard in PT

The next phase in my recovery is to be to walk unassisted. The PT said we will try this on Monday. Each day has been easier and easier to walk so I am very optimistic that I will be able to achieve this. The doctor did say I am cleared for no and low impact exercising so I managed to *slowly* do the recumbent bike as well as some arms and abs exercises. It was amazing to feel somewhat normal. 

gotta start somewhere

This has also motivated me to look into triathlons. I can work on cycling and swimming to get me back into shape and train. I have NO experience in either so I started searching for the smallest triathlon I could find. Here are some I am debating:

Maxon Dixon Sprint- .5 mile swim, 18 miles bike, 3.1 miles run
PA Warrior Tri & Du- .4 mile swim, 12.5 mile bike, 3 mile run (also optional 3 mile run instead of swim)
Keystone State Triathlon Super Sprint- .25 mile swim, 9 mile bike, and 2 mile run
TriRock Philadelphia Triathlon Sprint- 800 meters swim, 15.7 miles bike, and 3.1 mile run

7 weeks down...

No comments:

Post a Comment